Updated: Jan 23, 2020
On the Kamakura side of Asahina Pass (or Asaina Pass), the stone marker reads:
Asahina Pass is one of Kamakura’s seven entrances. It was an important road that connected Mutsuura to Kamakura. It was divided in two parts, the Ōkigiridōshi and Kogiridōshi. According to the locals, the famous hero, Asahina Yoshide, built it by himself in one night and gave it his name. However, the Azuma Kagami, medieval chronicles of the Hōjō clan, records that in November of 1240, it was decided to construct a road between Mutsuura and Kamakura. The project began in April of 1241, with Hōjō Shikken, the regent to a shōgun, supervising the work. Many people participated and moved soil and stones. It is assumed, therefore, that this is when the pass was actually built.
Erected in 1941 by the Kamakura Seinendan Young Adult Association.