Updated: Jan 22, 2020
Between the Ni no Torii (second gate) and San no Torii (third gate) begins the dankazura (段葛), a raised pathway flanked by cherry trees which becomes gradually wider as it goes toward the sea. This structure makes it seem, when seen from Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gū, longer than it actually is. It is lined with lanterns and cherry trees which bloom every year in early April, when many visitors come from all over the Kantō region to see them. Its entire length is under the direct administration of the shrine.
The stone marker under Ni no Torii reads:
The dankazura is also called Okiishi (置き石). In March 1182, Minamoto no Yoritomo, wanting his wife Masako to have a safe delivery, had this sandō built from Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gū all the way to Yuigahama's Great Torii. The stones and dirt necessary were personally carried by Hōjō Tokimasa and by many samurai of the Minamoto clan. The portion of the dankazura from the second torii onward was removed during the Meiji period.
Erected in 1918 by the Kamakura Seinendan Young Adult Association.