Updated: Jan 22
Along the entrance pathway into Hokai-ji Temple in Komachi stands the Sekihi, or stele, of the Hōjō house. The marker reads:
This was once the Hōjō house. Since the time of Yoshitoki Hōjō, successive generations of authority have lived here. This is where Takatoki Hōjō held banquets in the morning and at night, and sometimes had piles of gifts for the entertainers. When Nitta Yoshisada attacked Kamakura in 1333, the house was burned down and turned into ash. The current Hokai-ji Temple was built by Takashi Ashikaga in 1335. This temple was built on the site of Tosho-ji Temple, which was the Hōjō clan’s bodhi-ji temple, in order to calm the resentful spirits of the Takatoki Hōjō clan.
Erected in March of 1918 by the Kamakura Seinendan Young Adult Association.