Updated: Jan 29, 2020
In front of Jufukuji Temple in the Ōgigayatsu neighborhood there is a stone marker about Genjiyama. It is believed that the area at the foot of the mountain near Jufukuji Temple was once the residence of the Genji family. The Sekihi, or stele, reads:
The mountain now called Genjiyama was originally called Mukoyama and stood at the center of Kamegayatsu (Turtle Valley). Because it stood at the center of the Kamegayatsu valley, it was sometimes called Kamegayatsuyama.
Minamoto no Tomoyoshi (988-1075) and Minamoto no Yoshiie (1039-1106) were father and son. Before leaving for the Tōhoku Region, they raised their flag on this mountain. For this reason it was also called Hatatachiyama (Mountain of the Raised Flag).
At the foot of the mountain lies Jufukuji Temple. For many generations the Minamoto clan had their mansion here. The combined Kanji characters of the Minamoto name can also be read as “Genji”. Hence the name Genjiyama may come from this. The remains of what used to be a flagpole were also found in this area.
Erected in March of 1928 by the Kamakura Seinendan Young Adult Association.