Updated: Jan 29, 2020
Kewaizaka was one of the seven entrances to Kamakura. Found in the far northwestern section of Ōgigayatsu neighborhood at the foot of Genjiyama Park, the stone historical marker reads:
There are two ways of writing the kanji for Kewaizaka: 化粧坂 and 形勢坂, but both mean “slope of makeup” or cosmetics. According to a theory, the name was born because an important Taira enemy was captured and, to make his head easier to recognize, makeup was applied to it. According to another, there was a prostitute who worked at the base of this slope in the past, but her name does not appear in the Azuma Kagami.
This slope was one of the so-called Kamakura Seven Entrances and was an important point for attacking and protecting the city. In May 1333, Yoshitada Nitta's army invaded Kamakura from this place.
Erected in March of 1940 by the Kamakura Seinendan Young Adult Association.