青砥藤綱旧蹟 Aoto Fujitsuna Historic Site
Updated: Jan 22, 2020
The road to the Tōshōji Temple site crosses over the Nameri River on the historic Tōshōji Bridge. Near the arched bridge that was built in 1924, one year after the Great Kanto Earthquake, you will see the stone marker that reads:
According to the Taiheiki, Aoto Fujitsuna was a judge in Kamakura during the time of Regents Hōjō Tokimune and Hōjō Sadatoki. One evening, having lost 10 mon (文) in the Namerigawa, he bought a torch for 50 mon. He then entered into the water looking for the lost coins and finally found them. Hearing this story, people made fun of him saying that he ended up spending far more than he had lost. Fujitsuna replied that 10 mon was not much, but losing them forever would have been a great loss. He had personally lost 50 mon, but he had done that for the benefit of all.
Erected in March 1938 by the Kamakura Seinendan Young Adult Association.