Updated: Jan 19, 2020
There is a narrow stream that separates Yuigahama from Hase and flows into the sea. It is here where several stories occurred. The black stone historical marker on the sidewalk above the beach reads:
This is the river that the Man’yōshū (an anthology of ancient Japanese poetry known as “The Collection of Ten Thousand Leaves”) calls the Ina no Segawa. In October of 1180, Minamoto no Yoritomo’s wife, Masako, entered Kamakura for the first time and stayed for several days in a private house here along this river. It is also the place where, in 1184, Minamoto no Yoritomo went to say goodbye to his brother, Minamoto no Noriyori, who was leaving to attack the Heike (Taira clan). In 1185, Yoritomo came here to receive his father’s bones. It is also well known that this is the place where the great commander of Nitta Yoshisada’s army, Ōtachi Muneuji, was fatally wounded in 1333. In spite of its small size, this river has many stories to tell.
Erected in March of 1917 by the Kamakura Seinendan Young Adult Association.