問注所旧蹟 Monchūsho Historic Site

Updated: Jan 23


At the intersection across from the front gate of the Onari Elementary School in Onarimachi, you will see a stone marker designating the place where the military government courts once stood during the Kamakura Shōgunate.  The Sekihi, or stele, reads:


In 1184, Minamoto no Yoritomo declared that the buildings on either side of the Bakufu would be tribunals - one on the east and one to the west.  It was called the Monchūjo. Many people would gather there and often fights would break out. Minamoto no Yuriie (the son of Yoritomo and second Shōgun) did not like all of this being close to his residence, so in 1189 he moved the tribunal.  This stone marks the place of its relocation.  


Erected in March of 1917 by the Kamakura Seinendan Young Adult Association.

  • Grey Instagram Icon

Recent post from our Instagram account...

  • Facebook - Grey Circle
  • Instagram - Grey Circle

© 2018 by Life in Kamakura. Proudly created with Wix.com