蓮華寺址 Renge-ji Temple Site

Updated: Jan 29


Located along the busy street that takes you west of the train station into Sasuke, between the first and second tunnels at 佐助1-13-6, is a stone historical marker that reads:


Renge-ji Temple was founded in 1240 by the monk Ryōchū, and built by Hōjō Tsunetoki.  It was reported that the temple was moved to Zaimokuza in 1243, and the temple was renamed Komyoji.  According to one theory, Renge-ji Temple was built by Hōjō Tokiyori in 1251 so it would become Tsunetoki’s family temple, and then moved to Musashi (Tokyo) around 1279.  This valley is called Sasukegayatsu.


In March of 1934 the Kamakura Seinendan erected this stone monument in Matsugayatsu (the west side of the registry office), which is believed to be the site of Renge-ji Temple.  However, it was moved to this location with the opening of the Enoden Line, so the current location is not the original site.


Erected in March of 1976 by the Kamakura Seinendan Young Adult Association.

  • Grey Instagram Icon

Recent post from our Instagram account...

  • Facebook - Grey Circle
  • Instagram - Grey Circle

© 2018 by Life in Kamakura. Proudly created with Wix.com