Updated: Jan 18
Right at the corner where the road makes a sharp turn, there used to be a bridge that spanned a river on the diagonal. Because of this unusual layout, it was called Sujikaebashi, literally “Oblique-span Bridge.” It was famous as one of the ten major bridges of old Kamakura, but it was removed in a major reconstruction of the road in 1955 and the river was covered over. The only reminder of the site is the nearby stone marker that reads:
This is one of the Kamakura Jubashi (ten bridges). In June of 1247, the Yasura Miura family revolted. The Azuma Kagami states that at that time Adachi Kagemori led his troops with his clan, and gathered near the north of this bridge to attack Yasura Miura's mansion.
Also, in Kamakura, a notice was issued in March 1265 that limited the store business section to several places and it mentions the “Sujikae Bridge” located in this neighborhood.
Erected in March of 1939 by the Kamakura Seinendan Young Adult Association.