塔之辻 Tsuji Tower
Updated: Jan 24, 2020
Behind the Kamakura Choshomatsudo (Kamakura Bori wood carving) along Yuigahama Dōri, is a stone marker that reads:
Near Hase there used to be a neighborhood called Sasamegayatsu. On a street along its southeastern edge there was a small stone pagoda. A long time ago, the 3-year-old child of Yui's chief, Toki-tada, was torn apart and devoured by an eagle. Her parents' grief was terrible. Pieces of the child were scattered throughout the area and a memorial pagoda was built where the samurai would come to offer their prayers. Because of the stone pagoda, this place was given the name Tō no Tsuji (Tsuji Tower).
Another story is that the pagoda was simply a signpost near the entrance to Kamakura’s Sasamegayatsu neighborhood. It is unknown as to which story is true.
Erected in March of 1929 by the Kamakura Seinendan Young Adult Association.